- This event has passed.
Money Smart Week
April 10 - April 17| Main Library (Traverse City)
April is Financial Literacy Month! Check out these different resources to help you answer financial questions.
FREE Virtual Programs
You can find valuable information from Basic Banking to Student Loans to Managing Personal Finances through FREE 15-minute virtual programs coordinated by the Federal Reserve of Chicago during Money Smart Week, April 10th-17th. For more information about programs and to register go to www.moneysmartweek.org
- Sat. 4/10 10 am CT – Talking Cents: 15 minutes of easy strategies and simple tools you can use to start important conversations about money in a fun and comfortable way
- Sun. 4/11 10 am CT – Savings: A Little Can Make a Big Difference: 15 minutes to review how even a very modest savings cushion can be associated with major life improvements.
- Mon. 4/12 at Noon CT – Bank On It: Finding Safe + Affordable Bank Accounts: 15 minutes to address concerns of hidden fees and charges and minimum balance requirements.
- Tues. 4/13 12:30 CT – Understanding the Basics of Federal Student Loans: 15 minutes to get a basic overview on federal student loan programs, learn tips to utilize federal student programs to help pay for education beyond high school and gain insights into debt relief scam prevention.
- Wed. 4/14 1 pm CT – Tax-Related Fraud + Identity Theft: 15 minutes to discover how to protect your records and stay aware of Covid-19 tax scams and phishing schemes and learn how to recognize signs that your identity has been stolen for tax-related issues.
- Thurs. 4/15 1 pm CT – Managing Personal Finances During Covid-19: 15 minutes of suggestions for managing your money in a time of crisis. Topics covered include budgeting, emergency savings and managing debt.
- Fri. 4/16 at Noon CT – Housing Protections + Resources: 15 minutes to find out where to turn if you are having trouble making rent payments and you are protected under federal law from foreclosure if you are a homeowner.
- Sat. 4/17 10:30 am CT – Tips for Managing Money Ups and Downs: 15 minutes on how to do your best with what you have available.
Money smart kids! TADL Youth Services is also hosting a program, click here for details!
- https://www.canr.msu.edu/mimoneyhealth/ (MSU Extension)
- https://www.nmcaa.net/budget_counsel.asp (Northwest Michigan Community Action Agency)
- https://www.smartaboutmoney.org/ (National Endowment for Financial Education)
Here are a few great choices available through our Films on Demand/Access Video Service:
- Budgeting and Financial Decision Making
- Checking Accounts and Everyday Banking
- Checks and Balances: The Basics of Banking
- Credit, Borrowing, and Debt
- Saving and Investing
Of course, we also have good old-fashioned books you can reference too! Click here for some useful titles. If you’re interested in specific titles please contact our reference desk (email, live chat).