The Traverse Area District Library (“TADL”) is committed to using current forms of social media for enhanced accessibility to Library patrons in our service district and to promote Library services, resources, programs, and events with responsiveness and professionalism to maintain a positive image. Social media is defined as a web application, presence, or account created and maintained by TADL. The role and utility of social media sites will be evaluated periodically by TADL employees, and may be terminated at any time without notice to subscribers.
This policy shall apply to all users of TADL’s social media pages, including the general public, TADL patrons, employees and Board Members.
Designated TADL employees will have access to TADL’s social media accounts to manage the following types of content and features including but not limited to:
- Notice of library events, meetings, and programs; notice of community events
- Photographs and videos from the above
- Links to articles, videos about libraries, publishing, books, reading, and other literacy related content
- Information about library-related services such as databases and electronic services
- Highlights of special collections such as local history or new additions to the collections
Comments noting the positives about TADL are always welcome, but so too are constructive criticisms. TADL monitors its social media pages and takes input seriously; TADL encourages everyone to be respectful in their comments.
Any person posting to TADL’s social media accounts is fully responsible for their comments and all comments are posted in the public domain. TADL may retain any comments and such comments may be subject to disclosure pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act.
To participate in TADL social media services by commenting or posting on the social media accounts belonging to TADL, persons agree to the following terms:
- Abide by all TADL policies, including the Behavior Policy, Digital Device and Internet Acceptable Use Policy, Social Media Policy, and the Terms and Service of each individual third-party provider.
- Not to post or link to offensive, obscene, pornographic, threatening, violent, illegal, or discriminatory content or links to such content.
- Not to post any information or links to information that may compromise the safety or security of the public or TADL’s systems.
- Not to engage in commercial activity regarding goods/services of any kind.
- Not to post spam, viruses, malware, or any other destructive program, script, or code.
- To post only their own content and not post any content found to be in violation of copyright law.
- Not to post comments that contain random or unintelligible text.
- Not to post multiple, off topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted.
- No anonymous postings, or multiple postings by the same person using a fictitious or different name.
- Not to post content that contains personal information of another, including, but not limited to Library Records as defined in the Library Privacy Act, identification numbers, phone numbers, and email addresses.
The Library shall post the list of prohibited content as set forth above in a prominent location on TADL’s website and on its social media pages. Placing a link on a social media page linking to TADL’s website meets the requirements of this section.
TADL retains the right to:
- Delete comments that violate this policy or the applicable social media site’s terms of usage.
- Reproduce comments for TADL marketing. Authorship will always be credited if it is known.
- Block, remove, or otherwise ban any person from posting for behavior the Library Director or his or her designee determines is a violation of this Policy.
Employee and Board of Trustees Policy
In addition to the guidelines set forth in Terms above employees and trustees shall follow the guidelines in this Section:
- Content: TADL employees and trustees designated by the Library Director shall have the sole authority to administer and moderate the content of TADL’s social media pages.
- Authority to Post on TADL’s social media pages as the Official Library Position: For consistent communications practices, all posts as the Official Library Position on its social media pages shall be made by the Library Director or the Library Director’s designee. In the event of an emergency situation, or any situation deemed appropriate by the Library Director, the Library Director or designee may post to TADL’s social media pages as the Official Library Position.
- Other employees and trustees posting to TADL’s social media pages:
- Other employees and trustees may respond to an official post, but must include a disclaimer that reflects that the content contained therein is in no relation to their professional duties as an employee or trustee of TADL. Employees shall, in no way, attempt to convey their position as the Official Library Position.
- Employees and trustees who violate this policy are subject to disciplinary action, up to and including discharge.
TADL shall not be held liable for any damages resulting from use of TADL’s social media accounts. Anyone using TADL’s social media accounts agree to release and hold TADL harmless from any and all causes of action relating to use of TADL’s social media accounts.
TADL does not endorse or review content outside the items created by TADL employees. To that end, TADL only includes items in our social media accounts when we are a designated partner to the event (i.e. there is an existing formal partnership agreement).
Persons violating this policy will be asked to comply by TADL employees. In response to serious or repeated violations of this policy, TADL employees are authorized to take appropriate measures. The Library reserves the right to ban or block persons who violate this policy. In addition, all persons are expected to abide by the terms and conditions set by third party social media platforms as well as follow appropriate Federal and State Law.
The library may occasionally refer to public comments made on social media. However, it will not collect, sell or knowingly transfer to any third party any personally identifiable information related to social media engagement with the library. Please be advised that any platform has its own privacy policies.
New on June 16, 2022