We’re proud to announce that the Traverse Area District Library, along with Northwestern Michigan College (NMC) and Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, will be a First Images Host Site for the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST).
This means that we will be showing you the first AMAZING images from the JWST on July 12 – a worldwide debut!
We will update this page as more information becomes available, but mark your calendars for Tuesday, July 12.
This program will include in-person and virtual options.
July 12 10 am Morning Session – First Images Reveal
- Main Library – McGuire Room, 10 am (Event Link)
- NMC’s Dennos Museum Milliken Auditorium will be open to the public at 10 am and broadcast the First Images release between 10:30 am and 11:30 am. During the image presentations, Dr. Jerry Dobek, NMC Astronomer, will be moderating and answering questions.
- The images will also be broadcast via Zoom and YouTube.
There will also be an evening panel discussion with scientists from the Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) that will provide information on the first images and answer questions.
- Main Library – McGuire Room, 6 pm (Event Link)
- NMC’s Dennos Museum Milliken Auditorium will be open to the public beginning at 6:00 pm until 7:00 pm. Dr. Dobek will be moderating and answering questions.
- The discussion will also be broadcast via Zoom and YouTube.
July 16 – Additional Panel Discussions, Online Only
If you would like to learn more about space and explore on your own, here are some options!
Library of Things (Telescopes)
First Images Partners
Additional Community Resources
We do plan more events in months to come, including dark sky parties and a trip to the Rogers Observatory.
- Build a paper model
- Folding fact puzzle
- JWST on Flickr
- Learning Resources
- NASA’s Webb resources
- Orbit Animation
- Webb Space Telescope (Space Telescope Science Institute)
- Video Playlist
- Visualization Studio
3D Print Models (the Xray Universe)