The Friends are an enthusiastic group of men and women who support the mission of the Traverse Area District Library (TADL) and contribute their funds and/or time and creativity to further TADL's mission to enrich our community. A friend is someone like you!
The Mission of the Friends
The Friends of Traverse Area District Library (TADL) is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization founded in 1982 and dedicated to encouraging awareness, appreciation, use, and support of TADL facilities and its role in the cultural and educational development of the district.
We invite you to join this dynamic group of individuals who share a love of literacy and libraries.
LEVELS OF MEMBERSHIP
- $25-Couple/Family (one address)
*A donation of $500 or more will be recognized on the donor wall in the lobby of the Main (Woodmere) Library. If you are interested in becoming a member, please click here for a printer friendly PDF of the 2016 Membership form. Fill out and return to the Friends of TADL.
Friends of TADL Board of Directors
- Maryln Lawrence - President
- Reba Leiding - Secretary
- Lauren Berg, Member-at-Large
- Rita Concannon, Member-at-Large
- Miki Connell, Member-at-Large
- Suzanne McDonald, Member-at-Large
- Amy Shamroe, Member-at-Large
- Amelia Siders, Member-at-Large
- Jodi Simpson, Member-at-Large
- Beau Vore, Member-at-Large
- Noel Watson, Member-at-Large
- Doug Weaver, Member-at-Large
More About the Friends
- The Friends manage and operate The Friends of TADL Gift Shop located in the Atrium at the Main Library.
- The Friends host several book sales throughout the year which take place in the McGuire Community Room at the Main Library featuring a spring sale in May and a fall sale in September. The sales include thousands of used books including some rare editions, classics, recent fiction and non-fiction in hardcover and softcover, children's books, cookbooks, computer books, CDs, and DVDs.
- The Friends offer heavy refreshments, entertainment and a summary of the year's activities at the Annual Friends of TADL Meeting each May. The public is encouraged to attend, get acquainted, and enjoy an evening with Friends.
- The Friends financially support the following programs and library services:
• The software license which brings www.ancestry.com to patrons and staff interested in genealogy.
• Funding support to transport TCAPS classes to the Main (Woodmere) Library.
• The software which distributes the TADL electronic newsletter each month to more than 30,000 TADL cardholders.
• The popular Poets' Night Out, taking place in April during National Poetry Month and have done so since 1997.
• The purchase of books to add to the TADL borrowing collection for the annual TC READS selection and for the NWS authors.
• The purchase of two of the express check out stations available at the Main (Woodmere) Library.
.• Summer Reading Club programming and activities for youth, teen, and adults.
• Contribution to Grow the Gardens, a library landscaping project designed by local, award winning landscape architect Dean Conners.
- The Friends support the Born to Read program for new parents with the TC Twilight Rotary and Munson Medical Center in collaboration with TADL youth services.
The Friends of TADL belongs to the American Library Association, is a member of the Friends of Michigan Libraries, and contribute to make TADL programming possible. To learn more about the Friends of TADL, we encourage you to attend one of our monthly Board of Directors meetings. They are normally held on the first Tuesday of the month at noon in the Nelson Reading Room-Woodmere.