The Friends are an enthusiastic group of men and women who support the mission of the Traverse Area District Library (TADL) and contribute their funds and/or time and creativity to further TADL’s mission to enrich our community. A friend is someone like you!
The Mission of the Friends
- $25-Couple/Family (one address)
*A donation of $500 or more will be recognized on the donor wall in the lobby of the Main Library(Traverse City). If you are interested in becoming a member, please click here for a printer friendly PDF of the 2018 Membership form. Fill out and return to the Friends of TADL.
Membership benefits include:
- Free admission to the TADL Friends Preview Sales. Get a head start on some great books and bargains! For the Spring and Fall Sales, we have a special preview night for Friends only and you get in an hour early for the March Media Sale!
- Drinks and snacks at each Friends Event
- An invitation to attend the Friends Annual Spring Meeting
- The pleasure and pride in knowing that you are helping support the library!
Save the dates below:
Media Sale- March 10, 2018 10a-4p (Friends only 9am-10am)
Spring Book Sale – Cancelled due to low number of books available
Fall Book Sale – September 29-30, 2018 (Friends only 9/28 6pm-8pm)
Friends of TADL Board of Directors
- Noel Watson – President
- Doug Weaver – Vice President
- Reba Leiding – Secretary
- Jill Hutchinson – Treasurer
- Charlene Allen – Member-at-Large
- Marika BeVier, Member-at-Large
- Maryln Lawerence, Member-at-Large
- Margaret Monsour, Member-at-Large
- Amy Shamroe, Member-at-Large
- Amelia Siders, Member-at-Large
More About the Friends
- The Friends host several book sales throughout the year which take place in the McGuire Community Room at the Main Library featuring a spring sale in May and a fall sale in September. The sales include thousands of used books including some rare editions, classics, recent fiction and non-fiction in hardcover and softcover, children’s books, cookbooks, computer books, CDs, and DVDs.
- The Friends offer heavy refreshments, entertainment and a summary of the year’s activities at the Annual Friends of TADL Meeting each May. The public is encouraged to attend, get acquainted, and enjoy an evening with Friends.
- The Friends financially support the following programs and library services:
- Gifts to support capital improvements in the Youth Services Department’s Tween Scene (2016), Read-to-Me corner (2017), and the Preschool Interactive Learning Area – PILA (2018).
- The software license which brings www.ancestry.com to patrons and staff interested in genealogy.
- Funding support to transport TCAPS classes to the Main (Woodmere) Library.
- The software which distributes the TADL electronic newsletter each month to more than 30,000 TADL cardholders.
- The popular Poets’ Night Out, taking place in April during National Poetry Month and have done so since 1997.
- The purchase of books to add to the TADL borrowing collection for the annual TC READS selection and for the NWS authors.
- The purchase of two of the express check out stations available at the Main (Woodmere) Library.
- Summer Reading Club programming and activities for youth, teen, and adults.
- Contribution to Grow the Gardens, a library landscaping project designed by local, award winning landscape architect Dean Conners.
- The Friends support the Born to Read program for new parents with the TC Twilight Rotary and Munson Medical Center in collaboration with TADL youth services.
The Friends of TADL belongs to the American Library Association, is a member of the Friends of Michigan Libraries, and contribute to make TADL programming possible. To learn more about the Friends of TADL, we encourage you to attend one of our monthly Board of Directors meetings. They are normally held on the first Tuesday of the month at noon in the Thirlby Room at the Main Library.