The Traverse Area District Library loans Wi-Fi hotspots and laptops for the purpose of providing patrons the ability to connect Wi-Fi enabled devices to the internet and home computing. Hotspots provide Internet access to smartphones, tablets, and other wireless enabled devices through the cellular network. Service is dependent on the availability of the various cellular networks where the hotspot is being used. There are no data plan limits. Laptops provide computing capabilities.
Guidelines for Borrowing and Use
- You must be 18 years of age or older to borrow a Wi-Fi hotspot or laptop.
- A valid Library Card in good standing with a current address on file, and photo identification must be presented at the time of checkout.
- You are limited to one (1) hotspot and one (1) laptop per account.
- Items can be checked out for one week.
- If you have placed a hold for a hotspot or laptop, after notification that the item is available, you will have 2 days (48 hours) to check out the item before your hold will be cancelled.
- You may renew Wi-Fi hotspot or laptop pursuant to library lending policies; however, they must be returned on their due date.
- Overdue hotspots will be deactivated at least within 4 days of their due date.
- Mobile hotspot and laptops should be kept in a temperature-controlled environment; do not leave it in a car.
- Do not remove the SIM card from the hotspot for any reason.
- The Library is not responsible for any liability, damages or expense resulting from use or misuse of the device, connection of the device to other electronic devices, or data loss resulting from use of the device.
- Any use of a device for illegal purposes, unauthorized copying of copyright-protected material in any format, or transmission of threatening, harassing, defamatory or obscene materials is strictly prohibited.
- The Library is not responsible for information accessed using this device or for personal information that is shared over the Internet.
- Users are encouraged to follow safe Internet practices.
- The Library is not responsible for any computer viruses that may be transferred to user storage devices.
- Tampering with library equipment, including bypassing security functions, is prohibited.
- Except as stated below, you must be 18 years of age or older.
- Internet content filtering is NOT provided through the wireless hotspot. In the event a person under the age of 18 utilizes the wireless hotspot, a parent or guardian shall be present and monitor the individual’s access to the internet via the wireless hotspot.
- Per the Federal Funding that obtained the laptops as required by Children’s Internet Protect Act (CIPA), the laptops are filtered. Library personnel may disable the blocking or filtering measure during use by an adult to enable access for bona fide research or other lawful purposes consistent with CIPA and state law.
Fines and Liability
- The cost for unreturned items is $5/day, up to a maximum of replacement cost.
- Replacement costs will be assessed for any lost or unreturned devices, charging cable and/or carrying case.
- All components of the hotspot kit and laptop must be returned in order to be considered fully checked-in from your library account.
- The Library reserves the right to refuse to lend a hotspot or laptop to anyone who abuses equipment or is repeatedly late in returning electronic devices.
- Items MUST be returned to the circulation desk, DO NOT put the hotspot kits or laptop in the book drop. If the item is returned in the book drop, a $10 fee will be charged. If the item is returned in the book drop, and broken, a replacement cost fee will be charged. Items must be returned to the library location where the item was checked out, it cannot be returned to other libraries.
- Patrons with an overdue hotspot or laptop will be fined and referred to a collections agency pursuant to library policy.
Additional Hotspot and Laptop Requirements
- Hotspots work on the cellular network. If you do not have cellular coverage the hotspot will not connect.
- The hotspots are password protected.
- All hotspot kits and laptops contain a member agreement with the loan information and fines & fees.
- By checking out a hotspot, you will be deemed to have accepted the terms and conditions of this Policy as well as the member agreement.
- By checking out a laptop, you will be deemed to have accepted the terms and conditions of this Policy, the member agreement, and TADL’s Internet and Acceptable Use Policy, Policy 4.8.
New policy adopted February 20, 2020 / Revised December 17, 2020 | Revised March 18, 2021