The Traverse Area District Library loans Wi-Fi hotspots for the purpose of providing patrons the ability to connect Wi-Fi enabled devices to the internet. Hotspots provide Internet access to smartphones, tablets, and other wireless enabled devices through the cellular network. Service is dependent on the availability of the various cellular networks where the hotspot is being used. There are no data plan limits.
Guidelines for Borrowing and Use
- You must be 18 years of age or older to check out a hotspot.
- A valid Library Card in good standing with a current address on file, and photo identification must be presented at the time of checkout.
- You are limited to one hotspot per account.
- Wi-Fi hotspots can be checked out for one week.
- If you have placed a hold for a hotspot, after notification that the hotspot is available, you will have 2 days (48 hours) to check out the hotspot before your hold will be cancelled.
- You may renew Wi-Fi hotspot pursuit to library lending policies; however they must be returned on their due date.
- Overdue hotspots will be deactivated at least within 4 days of their due date.
- Mobile hotspot should be kept in a temperature controlled environment; do not leave it in a car.
- Do not remove the SIM card from the hotspot for any reason.
- The Library is not responsible for any liability, damages or expense resulting from use or misuse of the device, connection of the device to other electronic devices, or data loss resulting from use of the device.
- Any use of the device for illegal purposes, unauthorized copying of copyright-protected material in any format, or transmission of threatening, harassing, defamatory or obscene materials is strictly prohibited.
- The Library is not responsible for information accessed using this device or for personal information that is shared over the Internet.
- Hotspot users are encouraged to follow safe Internet practices.
- The Library is not responsible for any computer viruses that may be transferred to user storage devices.
- Tampering with library equipment, including bypassing security functions, is prohibited.
- Except as stated below, you must be 18 years of age or older to use the hotspot.
- Internet content filtering is NOT provided through the wireless hotspot. In the event a person under the age of 18 utilizes the wireless hotspot, a parent or guardian shall be present and monitor the individual’s access to the internet via the wireless hotspot
Fines and Liability
- The cost for unreturned hotspots is $5/day, up to a maximum of replacement cost.
- Replacement costs will be assessed for any lost or unreturned hotspot devices, charging cable and/or carrying case.
- All components of the hotspot kit must be returned in order to be considered fully checked-in.
- The Library reserves the right to refuse service to anyone who abuses equipment or is repeatedly late in returning electronic devices.
- Hotspots MUST be returned to the circulation desk, DO NOT put the hotspot kits in the book drop. If the hotspot is returned in the book drop, a $10 fee will be charged.
- If the hotspot is returned in the book drop, and broken, a replacement cost fee will be charged. Hotspots must be returned to the library location where the hotspot was checked out, it cannot be returned to other libraries.
- Patrons with and overdue hotspot will be fined and referred to a collections agency pursuit to library policy.
Additional Hotspot Requirements
- Hotspots work on the cellular network. If you do not have cellular coverage the hotspot will not connect.
- The hotspots are password protected.
- All hotspot kits contain a member agreement with the loan information and fines & fees.
- By checking out a hotspot, you will be deemed to have accepted the terms and conditions of this Policy as well as the member agreement.
Adopted February 20, 2020